Budapest sheds winter and March things to do include several festivals and fairs – organized annually.
Things to do in March – Early Spring Events in Budapest
Thermal Bathing in March
Enjoy an open air spring bath in Szechenyi Spa Bath – the world renowned pools, both in and outside, are filled with natural hot waters cooled down to 33 degrees Celsius, containing lots of beneficial minerals coming from deep underground. True, the weather in March in Hungary is still cold, but you can feel pampered in the thermal waters. The bath has long opening hours, so you can also see the amazing starry sky, if the sky is clear in March. See the photo of Szechenyi Bath minutes before snowing.
Bath Parties in Winter Magic – Lukacs Baths is the venue of the winter Budapest bath parties, but from March, the parties are held in Szechenyi Baths again. The bath party season usually starts in the mid February, so if you visit Budapest at the weekend in March, you can jump into a spectacular laser thermal spa party on a Saturday night (10.30 pm – 3 am) in a swim suit. Cocktails, beers, wines, shorts, electronic music, laser lights, and lots of partying folks.
March River Cruises in Budapest
Enjoy the first days of spring on board of a Budapest river cruise. For March cruises, you can visit the Spring Cruise Calendar. Special recommendations are the Dinner Cruises, offering a wide range of meals (buffet dinner, a la carte dinner, served dinner) and live entertainment (Gypsy Band, Folk Show, Bar Piano, etc.). Should you be interested in a simple sightseeing cruise, the Daytime Sightseeing Cruises will be available from Mar 1.
March Concerts in Budapest
March offers some great concerts for music lovers visiting Budapest. For the full list, please visit March Concerts in Budapest.
Concerts in Palace of Arts Budapest:
Mar 4, 6 and 7, 2018: Verdi’s Falstaff, concert version: Budapest Festival Orchestra
Mar 10, 2018: Monteverdi: Orfeo (Concert Version)
Concerts in St Stephen’s Basilica: Mar 1, 8, 15, 22 in 2018
Concerts in Matthias Church: Mar 23, 2018
Outdoor Craze in March
Skating in the City Park – in winter time you can skate on the more than 140 year old open air artificial Ice Rink in the City Park of Budapest (the lake is a boating lake in warm months and in winter it turns into a popular ice rink, where skates can be hired.
Budapest Spring Festival: Budapest Spring Festival is a prestigious mainstream music and cultural festival in Budapest with more than 50 high quality performances (operas, ballets, theatre plays, musicals, etc.), and art exhibitions. During the 10 days of the spring festival (usually in March), the most important venues are the Palace of Arts, Budapest Opera House, the Hungarian National Theatre, the Papp Laszlo Sport Arena and several theatres, museums and galleries. One of the best things to do for culture vultures and classical music fans who want to enjoy a good Budapest concert.
St Patrick’s Day in Budapest. St Patrick’s Day is a one day festival in the city centre of Budapest on Szabadsag square, close to the Hungarian Parliament, the Museum of Ethnography and the House of Hungarian Art Nouveau. It is a one day Irish fun thing to do if you love Irish culture, funny things and Irish foods and beers. In 2018, the parade starts at 3 pm on Sunday, March 17th on Szabadsag Square.
Budapest Macaron Day: Mar 20, 2018 – The French sweet macaron is celebrated in Budapest in March. Apparently there are true macaron fans all over the world. Geared to tourists, locals and families alike – just like chocolate. If you have a sweet tooth, it is your kind of thing to do.
March 15 Budapest – Hungarian National holiday There are several festivities in Budapest on March 15, but in recent years (or maybe ever since 1989 when Hungary became a democracy) March 15 has been used by Hungarians to vent their dissatisfaction and even anger against the government and the ongoing affairs. Please always check the current news if it is safe to go to the March 15 hot spots (in some years there were riots making the Hungarian Parliament usually the hottest scene of all). In peaceful years, March 15 is the day when the Hungarian Holy Crown and the Crown Jewels can freely viewed at the Hungarian Parliament (in the morning the entrance is free), there are festive programmes on the Castle Hill (dancing, folk music, concerts), and several museums in Budapest are open free of charge. Only banks and shops are closed.
Night of Baths: the Budapest Night of Baths is a one night event held sometime in March: many famous Budapest thermal baths can be used until late night for a very discounted ticket, which is a multiple pass to a bunch of baths, so you can bath crawl in Budapest! A relaxing and funny thing to do in March in Budapest. The festival does not have a set date, in fact, it could be anytime between February and April.
Tours in March: Admire the beautiful panorama of Budapest from the top of the Castle Hill. Guided Buda Castle Tours are available every day. Looking for something special? Don’t miss out one of the Budapest Segway Tours.
Budapest Restaurant Week: the Budapest Restaurant Week is sometime in March – April. There are about 2-3 dozens of restaurants in Budapest that take part in this culinary event in Budapest. The participating dining places offer a special, 3 course, fixed price dinner menu for approx. HUF 3,000 (including an appetizer, a main course and a dessert). See the current dates and make your reservations on etteremhet.hu. A thing to do in March – but not only for foodies.
Hungarian Folk Dance Festival is literally dedicated to traditional Hungarian folk dances, and other ethnic cultures of the various regions of Hungarian communities (within and outside the borders of Hungary)
Easter in Budapest
Budapest Easter is a very festive and busy month with the Budapest Easter Festival, the Budapest Easter Market and many more fairs, traditional shows, Easter Cruises, and other Easter things to do: Easter is a moving date celebration, but if Easter has some March days, the events related to the Easter festivities are the most spectacular in the city in March.
Budapest Easter: Easter is celebrated in several venues in Budapest, Hungary. There is and Easter festival, there are Easter fairs, Easter family activities, Easter menus, etc.
Here are some of the best places that are well worth a visit around Easter time in the city of Budapest (March / April):
- Buda Castle Easter Festival on the Castle Hill is a beautiful Easter event with many concerts, foods, crafts, children activities, and more. The entry to the Budapest Easter Festival can be bought online, with or without tickets to the National Gallery and the Budapest History Museum (yes, both are open throughout Easter).
- Easter Market Budapest: in the city centre, there is a nice square called Vorosmarty Square, which has become a top Christmas attraction in Europe. In recent years, this square has become the home of the spring fair too, known as the Budapest Easter Market with quality crafts made by Hungarian folk artisans, traditional Hungarian foods and drinks (you can try the Hungarian savoury snack (Langos), the simple and elegant Chimney Cake milk bread pastry (Kurtoskalacs), Hungarian sausages, ‘Hurka’ (something like the Scottish blood pudding), etc.
- Szentendre Skanzen, the preserved folk village museum: Szentendre is a little town, about an hour’s suburban train ride from Budapest, but each Easter the Szentendre Skanzen offers authentic folk and folkish things to do. If you love to explore cultures, this is a perfect day to get some idea about Hungarian Easter traditions, games, buy crafts, and to spend a nice spring day out in the fresh open air.
- Vajdahunyad Castle Easter Fair: the Easter crafts market is paired with some kids workshops and an annual exhibition about Easter in the museum in the Vajdahunyad Castle, in the City Park in Budapest.
- Easter events in the Museum of Ethnography Budapest which resides in a beautiful palace: Easter egg painting workshops, crafts stalls, etc. are often in the Museum of Ethnography (please check the Easter events on the museum website),
Photos of Things to Do in March in Budapest
Flavours of Hungary Fair – a true gastro thing to do in March, Budapest
Budapest Macaron Day – another gastro thing to do for those who love French desserts and sweets:
John Malkovich performing at Vigszinhaz during the Budapest Spring Festival: